Dog Bite Attorneys in Washington State
In Washington state, pet owners have a strict responsibility to ensure their pets do not cause harm to the general public. At Kode Law Firm, PLLC, our team acts as your ally following a dog bite accident, providing victims the representation they need to get the compensation owed to them. If you’ve recently suffered a dog bite injury, contact the team at Kode Law to schedule your initial consultation today.
Understanding Washington State Dog Bite Cases
Common Causes of Dog Bite Cases
The following illustrates some of the most common causes of dog bite cases in Washington state:
- Wrongfully Keeping a Vicious Dog: This means the pet owner knowingly owns or keeps a dog that is vicious or has a “vicious propensity” (i.e. the dog has a documented attack history)
- Violation of a Leash Ordinance: This happens when a pet owner does not properly follow leash laws and a dog attacks someone as a result
- Dangerous Dog Attacks: A “dangerous dog” is one that has inflicted serious harm or even death on a victim without provocation
If you have been attacked by a dog, consult with your Kode Law attorney to understand what legal options may be available to you.
Common Injuries in Dog Bite Cases
Dog bite injuries can include the following:
- Broken bones
- Eye injuries
- Head & neck injuries
- Facial injuries
- Nerve damage
- Psychological trauma
Always be sure to carefully document any medical treatment incurred following a dog bite attack, as this will help strengthen your case.
Dog Bite Statistics in Washington State
Washington residents should understand the risk they face for falling victim to a dog bite attack. The following illustrates how prevalent such cases are throughout Seattle and Western Washington:
- Seattle Animal Control reports approximately 300 dog bite cases each year
- Dog bite claims exceeded $9 million, according to the latest reports by the Northwest Insurance Council
- More than 4.5 million people suffer dog bites each year, and 50% of dog bite fatalities are children aged 10 and under
- Pit bulls account for more than 50% of dog bite cases but comprise 1-3% of the dog population in the U.S.
Always be sure to file a report with the local animal control authorities following a dog bite accident and keep a copy for your records.
FAQs for Western Washington Dog Bite Cases
What damages can be claimed in a dog bite case?
The following damages may be claimed in a dog bite case:
- Medical expenses
- Physical therapy
- Psychological counseling
- Lost wages
- Pain & suffering
What is the statute of limitations for a dog bite case in Washington?
In general, dog bite claims fall under personal injury and must be filed within three years of the date of the accident
How does Washington state determine fault in a dog bite case?
Washington is a “strict liability” state for dog bite injuries. This means that dog owners are liable even if it’s the first time the dog has bitten another person, and even if they had no reason to know the dog may bite someone.
Kode Law for Western Washington’s Dog Bite Cases
If you’ve become the victim of a dog bite accident, the knowledgeable, attentive attorneys at Kode Law are here to help. Not only highly skilled at litigating dog bite cases in Western Washington, our friendly, bilingual staff are also available to assist clients speaking English, Spanish, Hindi, and Punjabi. Contact our team today to collect the damages you’re owed following a dog bite injury.